Monday, April 6, 2009

EARTHQUAKE!!!!



...3:30 a.m... 5 April 2009... Jocelyn's first Napoli earthquake. Hopefully the first and the only! This morning an earthquake hit the town of L'Aquila, approximately 60 miles east of Rome. I'm located in one of the "suburbs" of Naples, just a bit northwest that is covered by a light turquoisey-blue blob in the map above.

I was sound asleep and the rumbling actually woke me up! I could feel these weird shifty vibrations for a bit, and remember thinking, "Wow, that must be a really big truck going by in the street for me to feel it!" Yeah, well, not so much a truck as the earth shifting underneath me! I thought I must be crazy for thinking it's an earthquake and that no one would believe me at work when I told them I felt it. However, as soon as I got to the gym this morning CNN was showing footage of the poor destroyed small town! So, I felt a bit better that I wasn't imagining things. But then that quickly turned to... great, I leave California managing only two small tremors, possible tornadoes in Texas, brave an almost-hurricane in Mississippi, now I'm dealing with earthquakes AND a volcano in Naples! THE FUN NEVER STOPS!!! I'm hoping that earthquake wasn't a harbinger of doom for Vesuvius erupting again!

Fortunately, no damage to the building, just a bit of shaking. The shaking only lasted approximately 20 seconds from what I remember - just enough time for me to worry about what I should do, and then it stopped...

No comments:

Post a Comment