Wednesday, April 8, 2009

AFTERSHOCK!!

So just when I think the earthquake is over, the AFTERSHOCK hits! I'm sitting on my bed yesterday evening, around 7:45 p.m. ish munching on my buffalo mozzarella and tasty cherry tomatoes, and the bed starts shaking, plate glass in the windows bangs back and forth a bit (don't even TALK to me about Italian construction!), and about 10 seconds later it's all over.

Fortunately, I was awake for this one, so I was fully aware of what was going on. If I needed to take action I would have been much more ready to do so than I was at 3:30 a.m.! I sent a text to a friend asking if he felt it, but he said he was in the pool....so he was blissfully unaware, obviously! People in downtown Naples felt it, but those in Bacoli/Monte di Procida didn't, interestingly enough.

The poor city of L'Aquila is just rescuing individuals from the 6.3 earthquake that rocked the city on Monday, then come a fresh wave of aftershocks on Tuesday. It's almost Easter, one of the eventful holidays in Roman Catholic Italy and these individuals have to deal with being pulled out of rubble!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30083979

If you check out www.usgs.gov (which I fully don't expect you to do, but the nerd that I am, I now check it out for the latest seismic activity), it shows multiple aftershocks. I'm surprised I didn't feel more than I did.

However, the fact that I had a spectacular three-hour-seafood dinner with a great group of friends (that I think included eating sea monkeys, or what looked like sea monkeys in my opinion) in Monte di Procida, and that I'm now sitting on my exquisite terrace facing the water with the smell of Nutella crepes wafting up from the cafe below seems to make it all seem a bit better.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment